Re: RARA-AVIS: Mostly noir on TCM

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 14 Jul 2004

Etienne wrote

"But then I'm not totally for this idea, as I should prefer to call
"neo-noir" a breed of films appearing during the end of the 80s, during the 90s and still existing today.These last types of films are often closer to the spirit of the B series of the 40s an 50s by the relative freedom of scripts and filming, leading to fast, violent, dark films with stories close to nihilism. They are mostly American color movies, and generally with more substance than the Tarantino films."

While I think there's a lot of substance underneath the style of Pulp Fiction (less so in many of his others, not that I don't still really enjoy them), I agree with your periodization of neo-noir. However, how about some titles? This isn't so I can argue with your conclusions, but to see if there are any I haven't seen and should.

Mark