Re: RARA-AVIS: Three movies

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

miker wrote:

"I saw Mystic River. I played the guy's confession twice about what happened years earlier, and I still couldn't understand what he was saying. I decided I didn't care. I didn't like the movie. I haven't read the book. It appeared to me that it unsuccessfully tried to parallel plot complexities of the book."

I read the book and I didn't like the movie either. I didn't buy the characterization -- for instance, Marcia Gay Harden's shift from backing her husband to selling him out just made no sense without a whole lot more background -- and I still can't believe that all of that EMOTING got praised as great acting (Bill Murray got robbed). I thought it was a classic example of a film that sacrificed depth of any kind by trying to retain too much plot.

Mark