Re: RARA-AVIS: Kurosawa and English subtitles

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

"The Gates of Hell (I don't think I ever knew what the Japanese title was, and now I can't find it on IMDB...)>>

I think it's been translated as "Gate of Hell". It's by Kinugasa. One of the most beautiful color films ever made. Unfortunately, the version I have on VHS (I think it was put out by Kino) has such dreadful and sparse subtitling that it's hard to follow the plot. Has Criterion gotten to this one? It would be a prime candidate.

Best,

MrT