Re: RARA-AVIS: New "Brewer" and old noir/hb on DVD: Moran after Denton

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

Todd wrote:

"David--the most impressive extras I have in a pre-'65 film, albeit twinned with its barely pre-'65 remake, are on the Criterion package of THE KILLERS, with a fine radio adaptation and much else helping to make the not-low Criterion price palatable."

I was just about to point this out. And among that "much else" is a complete reprint of Paul Schrader's essay Notes on Noir.

There's one other pre-'65 film with nice extras, The Big Sleep, which includes both versions of that film, the unreleased original cut (with the much needed explanatory scene that was deleted before release) and the later, released version with the scenes quickly inserted to capitalize on Bogart and Bacall's newfound fame as a couple. There's also a short documentary explaining the changes.

Still, I agree that most DVD extras are entirely superfuous. I can think of very few deleted scenes that did not thoroughly deserve that fate. And I very seldom even turn on the commentaries.

Mark