RARA-AVIS: New "Brewer" and old noir/hb on DVD: Moran after Denton

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 06 Jul 2004

Well, since Bill has sidetracked us to celluloid, however briefly...

1. Sony is advertising a direct-to-video release of 3 WAY/THREE-WAY SPLIT, which they're not shy about using Gil Brewer's name in pushing. Any word on this, even with the often but not always dire prospect of d-t-v? 'From fabled pulp novelist Gil Brewer's ("Wild to Possess") [sic] comes this sinfully tasty, hard-boiled brew of lust, extortion and murder[...]'

2. David--the most impressive extras I have in a pre-'65 film, albeit twinned with its barely pre-'65 remake, are on the Criterion package of THE KILLERS, with a fine radio adaptation and much else helping to make the not-low Criterion price palatable.

TM

-----Original Message----- From: David Moran

I've yet to see any pre-1965 movie that has anything really remarkable in the extras department. Which is just as well, I think. In my opinion, 99% of the extra stuff bundled with DVDs is a complete waste of time. I got Nick Ray's
"In a Lonely Place" not too long ago...and there was a mini-homage-documentary-thing in which Curtis Hanson (director of L.A. Confidential) talked about his love for the movie. Nice but...ehhh...so what?

For my money, as long as the movie has a good, crisp transfer and good audio, that trumps just about any random crap (e.g. production stills, silly quizzes, original theatrical trailers) they might dig up to add as extra features.