RE: RARA-AVIS: Someone who doesn't like Pelecanos

From: Dave ( davezelt@comcast.net)
Date: 02 Jul 2004

Jim Thompson mixed social and political commentary in his works (Killer Inside Me, Pop. 1280 is filled with it), and he only produced some of the best crime fiction ever written.

-Dave

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of William Denton Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 12:37 PM To: RARA-AVIS Subject: RARA-AVIS: Someone who doesn't like Pelecanos

        http://www.sexandgutsmagazine.com/maviano.htm

| But these are all guys that at least know their way around. Someone like
| Pelecanos, I call him the shoe salesman of crime fiction. His rhythms
| are wrong. He tries awful hard to be gritty. That's how it comes off to
| a guy like me, is tryin.... I find his stuff to be incredibly contrived,
| in that it is trying to expand the genre into new areas, but I don't
| [want] to hear preaching about racial division in the United States
| mixed in with my crime fiction. I just want crime. If I want to read
| something political, I'll read non-fiction for Christ's sake.

I think that's pretty much wrong on all counts. Maviano later contradicts himself, saying, "My view of crime is different than some people's. I feed off a social conflict model, that I think Marx inspired quite a bit. I see crime for profit as being a political thing."

Bill

--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : http://www.miskatonic.org/ : Caveat
lector.