Re: RARA-AVIS: Faulkner and Brackett

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2004

<< tend to agree. Would you clasify Joe Gores as a Hammetian? I just finished 32 CADILLACS and loved it.>>

Definitely. And Michael Connelly, too, with the exception of some of the later Bosches (The Last Coyote and Trunk Music, in particular). Actually, there have been many Hammetians in crime fiction, perhaps more than Chandlerians. For example, I think that Michael Collins is more Hammetian than Chandlerian. Some may and will argue, of course.

And then there is Arthur Lyons, who managed to create a Hammetian-Chandlerian style. What a fine writer, and how out of print he is...

Best,

MrT