Re: RARA-AVIS: Faulkner and Brackett

From: Mario Taboada (
Date: 29 Jun 2004

<<Brackett's NO GOOD FROM A CORPSE is already slipping away. I count that a blessing.>>

Ah, the dangers of imitating Chandler... Why have writers tried to imitate the hardest one of them all?

The gratuitous anecdote: The other day I was chatting with an Italian friend, in relation to whose work I mentioned Calvino... Nooooooo!, he shouted. No-one should write like Calvino. That's dangerous stuff, death in fact. Moravia, fine. Buzzati, fine. But not Calvino, please!!

I think Hammetians have fared a lot better than Chandlerians. And if this stokes the fires of definitional and stylistic hell, so be it.