RARA-AVIS: Re: Max Allan Collins, Stolen Away

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 22 Jun 2004

Jim wrote:

>My problem with the theory is Al puts forth in that
>novel is that it depends on too many people to be
>participants in the conspiracy of silence, including
>people Al himself credits with being persons of high
>integrity who gave no evidence in other aspects of
>their lives of being willing to keep quiet while an
>innocent man was executed.

Not speaking to that case specifically, but given even recent history in places like Illinois and Oklahoma, it doesn't always seem to require a huge conspiracy for an innocent man to be sentenced to die (or even merely be convicted) -- more a combination of overzealous prosecution, incompetent counsel, misleading (or dishonest) witnesses, vested interests, ulterior motives, corner cutting, bad luck and other tragic errors and occurrences.

Is that what happened in the Lindbergh case?

Who knows? But it sure seemed plausible at the time I read it. And Collins isn't the one who raised the doubts about Hauptmann's guilt. Those have been around for decades.

And yes, Jack's Shamus-nominated MUNCHIES is on TD in the fiction section for those of you who'd like to read it for free.