RARA-AVIS: Tom Franklin's POACHERS

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Jun 2004

Got this book of ten stories on Thursday and finished it out at the lake on Sunday morning. The stories are bleak, set in the "lush and deadly" wilds of southern Alabama. I'd say they could easily qualify as Southern Gothic. They are not all crime stories, but they are all harsh, tough, and colloquial, with a heavy leaning towards gloom.

I liked them a lot. They reminded me of D'J Pancake, except I stalled on the fifth Pancake story. I don't know whether it was just my mood at the time or what, but once I started the Franklin stories, I couldn't stop. That's unusual for me. Short stories I usually take only in small doses.

I believe that the last story, "Poachers," has been expanded into a book.

Moving. Moody. The stories are loosely related and together they mesh into a sum greater than the parts. Highly recommended. Especially to Ed Lynskey.

miker