Re: RARA-AVIS: re: Sipila

From: JT Lindroos ( juha@oivas.com)
Date: 21 Jun 2004

> How different are the Scandinavian languages from each other? Are Danish,
Swedish, and Finnish as similar to
> each other as, say, American English, British English, and Australian
English, so that, although there'd be
> differences, people from each place could generally understand each other,
or are they as different as,
> say, Italian and Spanish, which have the same Latin roots but are still
very different languages?

Finnish is totally different from Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, though these three are quite similar.

And if anybody has a good Finnish crime novel translated (even roughly) I could look into giving it a shot it in the US market.

--Juha.

--
JT Lindroos
Senior Editor, PointBlank