Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent readings (spoilers for INTERFACE)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Jun 2004

Well, I've never hid my general dislike of Gores's work, so take my comment with a grain of salt, if you like. Indeed, if I, who don't really like Gores, liked it, it probably IS great.

INTERFACE read to me like a self-concious retelling of THE MALTESE FALCON: the FALCON told in modern parlance, in other words, complete with a morally ambiguous PI and a suitcase full of drugs substituting for the bird. It pretty much manages to accomplish what it sets out to do, but shows it's spiritual roots, so to speak.

doug

Forgot one book in my last post, John Franklin Bardin's DEVIL TAKE THE BLUE-TAILED FLY, which was effectively weird and noirish. My favorite Bardin is LAST OF PHILIP BANTER, though.

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com