RARA-AVIS: Perdido Street Station

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2004

Neddal Ayad wrote: If you liked Mieville's KING RAT, you should check out his PERDIDO STREET STATION - Sorry if this has ben discussed here already but some of the SF critics are calling his stuff, along with other dark, "urban" fantasies...

********** A belated welcome, Neddal. I thought PERDIDO STREET STATION had a chance to be great, but that Mieville didn't get the job done. I thought the ending seemed thrown together and found it unsatisfying. I thought one of the characters acted contrary to his earlier behaviour. Nevertheless, there are scenes in PSS that still haunt my memory. Very powerful and charged, reaching into Jung's bag of archetypes and tweaking the human psyche in an elemental way.

miker