RARA-AVIS: Recent Reading

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@trinidadstate.edu)
Date: 09 Jun 2004

I just finished William Landay's _Mission Flats_ yesterday and liked it a lot. Though set in a fictional neighborhood in Boston, I thought he really captured the feel of the place-- the low lives who run the drug trade, the upright citizens afraid to testify against them, etc. It reminded me a lot of Dennis Lehane's Kenzie/Gennaro books. And the naive, young police chief who is the book's narrator, proves to be not quite so naive as the book goes on--he's got a couple of big, bombshell secrets that he keeps until late in the proceedings that cause us to rethink his narration (not completely, but just enough). It's hard to picture another book with this same protagonist, but Landay really did a nice job in this, his debut.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO