Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reading

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Jun 2004

William Denton asked:
> What all have you folks been reading?

And I get to continue answering your previous question about California books, too, in that I've just finished John Shannon's The Cracked Earth, the second in his Jack Liffey series. The first, The Concrete River, had as a background a flood; apparently the Los Angeles River is a concrete-lined ditch with usually just a dribble of water.
    The background events in this book are earthquakes that pop buildings and roads all over the place, while in the foreground our detective searches for the missing teenage daughter of a former movie idol.
    My very favorite realistic detail in this series is that the protagonist PI is a laid-off technical writer. I have the third, with a title something about the sky.

Joy