Re: RARA-AVIS: Recent reading- Elmore Leonard's CUBA LIBRE

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 08 Jun 2004

Bill Denton wrote:

> What all have you folks been reading? I recently finished Brian
> Garfield's RELENTLESS (1972), which I picked up a couple of months ago and
> Mr. Doherty recommended.

I just finished my new favorite Elmore Leonard book: CUBA LIBRE (1998). A damned satisfying read. Also the first time I've actually enjoyed a revolving POV. That man can *write*! I heartily recommend it. It's a
"historical thriller" set in Cuba right before the Spanish-American War in 1898. Leonard's experience writing westerns early in his career really shines through here. I'm going to track down some of those early Westerns and give them a read now.

Mighty impressed, me.

All the Best-

Brian Thornton