Re: RARA-AVIS: Robert Campbell

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 02 Jun 2004

Bill,

Campbell wrote Hell's Angels on Wheels? Way cool. Let's see, that's the one with Jack Nicholson (and Bruce Dern?), not the one with Peter Fonda and Nancy Sinatra, right? Oh yeah, the latter was Wild Anglels.

And I share your doubt about Campbell's having coined La-La Land. I'm pretty certain I had heard it commonly used before his series. Anyone in La-La Land remember when they first heard it?

I also share your liking of the Jimmy Flannery books. Not terribly hardboiled, though extremely colloquial (especially the neighborhood kid, White kid, who couldn't seem to speak regular English), but highly entertaining. Actually, everything I've read by Campbell has been very good (though the plots of two of the La-La Land books are a bit too similar, close variations on a theme, if I recall correctly).

Mark