Re: RARA-AVIS: Modesty Blaise

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 02 Jun 2004

Bill wrote:

"Against her we must hold the way she breaks down and cries at the end of the book, as she does after all her most dangerous escapades. She doesn't have the hard inner heart that asks for nothing from nobody."

Does Marlowe have that "hard inner heart," or any number of other male PIs whose hardboiledness we never question? Tears may not fall from their manly eyes, but enough of them have sorrows they seek to drown at the end of a hard case.

Mark