Re: RARA-AVIS: Bubba Ho-Tep (and Big Al)

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 27 May 2004

I picked Bubba Ho-Tep up night before last at a signing party for the cast and crew at Dark Delicacies in Burbank. The movie is terrific, based on a wild and wooly Joe R. Lansdale story, and the DVD is loaded with fun extras. It hit #2 on Amazon yesterday (just barely trailing behind that little Lord of the Rings film) so there must be a lot of fan excitement and anticipation out there for the movie.

There is also a very cool companion book available from Night Shade that contains the original story by Lansdale and the screenplay by director Don Coscarelli (who wisely stays miraculously close to the original material in his adaption). It includes intros by both men which go far in explaining how it all came to be.

I promised a report on Al Guthrie's TWO-WAY SPLIT when I returned from my tour, but unfortunately the distractions of the road proved too great and I only just started the book yesterday. I'm about halfway through and find it mesmerizing. Al has found a way to blend the old with the new and make it all seem very fresh. It's a complex character study (of a number of interesting characters) punctuated by startling moments of violence. It's hard to believe this is a first novel, if, in fact, it is.

Is it, Al?

TL