Re: RARA-AVIS: Sinister Noir

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 18 May 2004

Jim wrote:

"Any story will put obstacles in the way of the hero, whether he wins out in the end or not. A series of obstacles that keep the hero from his goal is "a run of bad luck."

Any obstacle is bad luck? To me, luck connotes something more like forces out of the control of mere mortals. For instance, I don't see premeditated murder as just a victim's bad luck. It's a wilfull act on the part of the killer, whose motive, rightly or wrongly, is usually based on some concrete role the victim played. It may be a bad turn of events for the victim, but it was not just bad luck that brought about the death, unless the victim just happened to stumble in front of a car, or was an innocent bystander.

Mark