Re: RARA-AVIS: Sinister Noir

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 May 2004

Mark,

Re your comment below:

> If you are defining "dark and sinister" as applying
> to scenic
> atmospherics and not morality or character, as you
> have repeatedly
> stated, what by Willeford qualifies?

I've never said that the atmosphere of a novel is absolutely unaffected by character or moral climate. What I've repeatedly said is that this isn't the only way to achieve an atmosphere that can be described as noir, that the scenic atmospherics of a book can also, and do also, qualify a book as noir.

I'm not the one being exclusive.

As for Willeford, the only things I've read by him are his first two Miami-set cop novels, which both struck me as harshly gritty enough to qualify. Maybe I'd think differently if I reread them.

The film version of MIAMI BLUES, though quite faithful to the book as I recall, did not strike me as particularly noir, so maybe the book wouldn't either on a rereading.

JIM DOHERTY