RARA-AVIS: Spillane and Hammer

From: Douglas Greene ( dgreene@odu.edu)
Date: 17 May 2004

There is an earthiness and a rough poetry to Spillane's writings that raise him, and Mike Hammer, above most of their competitors in the sex & violence school of private-eyeing. My politics are the almost exact opposite of Spillane's, yet I like his works . . .

. . . so much so that Crippen & Landru will publish BYLINE: MICKEY SPILLANE by Spllane, as edited by Lynn Myers and Max Allan Collins. It will contain the 2 Hammer novelettes for PLAYBOY that Spillane turned into novels, some unknown Hammer material, and Spillane's "macho-man" non-fiction articles for the men's magazines of the 1950's and 1960's. Though I says it as shouldn't, it is a fine collection.

Ironically, at about the same time we will publish Ellery Queen's THE ADVENTURE OF THE MRUDERED MOTHS AND OTHER RADIO MYSTERIES. I'm not sure I want to know what Mickey and Ellery would have thought about that timing.

Doug www.crippenlandru.com