Re: RARA-AVIS: Mike Hammer's strength and heroism

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 May 2004

David wrote:

"One of my favorite noir movies is Robert Aldrich's "Kiss Me Deadly" for precisely that reason. It takes the essential qualities and magnifies them tremendously so you can see Hammer for what, at heart, he really is, a cold, vain, mean-spirited thug. That being said, it's awful fun to watch him behave that way."

For me, this movie was much more fun than the books. Didn't Spillane hate this adaptation for pretty much the same reasons we like it, because he is clearly not a hero? I agree with those who have labeled Hammer a thug, but I don't think Spillane would. I think he intends him, and his thuggish behavior, to be viewed as heroic.

Mark