Re: RARA-AVIS: Back into the definitional whirlpool (spoilers for FALLING ANGEL)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 17 May 2004

Jim wrote:

"I was wrong to apply it to two well-made movies, both of which I enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, but I was trying to draw a distinction between these films and more overtly masculine films like, say, THE KILLERS or THE ASPHALT JUNGLE . . ."

Are you calling Dana Andrews a wimp just because he fell in love with a woman he knew only through a painitng?

I did get that you were being tongue in cheek with the chick flick comment, but since I reserve that term for movies I would only see under protest and never admit liking (even on the very rare occasion I do), I had trouble thinking of Laura or Spiral Staircase in that light (or should it be in that dark?). I can't imagine Julia Roberts or Meg Ryan in either of them (although wasn't the latter remade with Nicole Sheridan? I haven't seen it, sounded dreadful, and not in a good way).

Mark