Re: RARA-AVIS: Back into the definitional whirlpool (spoilers for FALLING ANGEL)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 May 2004

I'm not being argumentative, for once, just asking for some clarifications.

Jim wrote:

". . . and even romantic chick flicks like LAURA and THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE."

I'll grant you they both have elements of gothic romance, but "chick flick"? At great risk, I'm going to ask you for another definition -- what's a chick flick?

"Blame Duhamel, and Billy Wilder, and Spillane and Collins, and all the other people used the term "noir" so indiscriminately."

Where did Wilder and Spillane apply the word noir? Again, I'm not trying to pick another fight. I'd genuinely like to read what they've said or written on the topic.

Mark