RARA-AVIS: McGee gets knocked out

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 07 May 2004

I'm up to #15 in rereading the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald: THE TURQUOISE LAMENT (1973). It's a fine one. McGee is called by a young woman, the daughter of someone who once saved his life, because she's in trouble. He goes and sorts things out, but we know, and McGee soon realizes, that she's heading off into even worse trouble, and there's nothing he can do about it. McGee gets pretty low for part of it, and lacerates himself over his behaviour and cheap womanizing. His philosophizing never bores, whether he's musing about modern airplanes and hotels or the nature of integrity. Some of the social commentary has turned into social history--and is none the less interesting--but most of it is still dead on the money. I'd just finished reading a dense book about academia and this was the perfect tonic.

There's a fight at the end, of course, and McGee takes one on the noggin:
"The sky spun over and around me, and there was a ringing crack of my skull against the stone, a dim and distant roughness against my cheek."

What's the name for it when articles are left out of a sentence? McGee would more often phrase this as "there was ringing crack of skull against stone, dim and distant roughness against cheek." There isn't a lot of that in this book.

Bill