RE: RARA-AVIS: words you now can say on TV, at least on cable

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 07 May 2004

At 11:25 AM 06/05/2004 -0700, you wrote:

>The sad thing about the overuse of fuck and similar terms
>is that they lose their force. A good writer or speaker
>doesn't want to squander or debilitate words.

But the good thing is that the word begins to take on a life of its own well beyond the original meaning, strictly because of attempts to suppress it.

I live in a home that backs onto a small, well-treed public park. Each summer's eve a small group of teens gathers around a park bench about dusk to smoke, drink and shout their angst in sentences constructed chiefly from the word "fuck" and its derivations. Been going on for nearly 30 years now, clearly not the same squad of kids, and I have every faith that the tradition will endure the park's lifetime. It is hilarious. The best of it develops a rhythm and rhyme that I've come to think of as summer poetry, the equivalent of birdsong. And it has resulted in rather a decent short story, if I do say so myself.

I am convinced that "fuck" is the most expressive word in the English language, though somewhat discouraged that its power is evaporated by its appearance in my local newspaper.

Best Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com