Re: RARA-AVIS: words you now can say on TV, at least on cable

From: E.Borgers ( wbac12034@tiscali.be)
Date: 06 May 2004

Mark,

I have the dictionary "American Slang" by Robert L. Chapman, published by Harper Perennial, approx 500 pages, trade paperback format, 1996 edition. Its an Abridged from "The New Dictionary of American Slang", but I find it handy, quick and generally sufficiant for a daily use... and it gives dating or periods for most of the entries. For instance: fuck, as a verbal form, is said dating from the 1200s!

For detailed and more complete datings you have to go for historical dictionaries, I think.

Hope this helps.

E. Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

Mark Sullivan