Re: RARA-AVIS: A Farewell Knockout

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 05 May 2004

For the first EyeCon I worked up a little something on Milton K. Ozaki. Here's an excerpt related to the Topic for Today. My favorite is the one about the elevator.

Bill Crider

[Ozaki] was a master of describing what happens when a p.i. is hit on the head:

 From The Scented Flesh (1951):

  "Then the world exploded."

 From Too Young to Die (1954):

  "Then a rainbow exploded inside my head and the floor reached up for me."

 From Sucker Bait (1955):

"The pavement reached up for me."

 "Then the elevator leaned over and slammed me on the head."

 From Maid for Murder (1955):

  "I fell slowly forward into a deep black box."

 From Never Say Die (1956):

"A long black tunnel rushed at me . . . ."

  "[T]hen the back of my head exploded."