RARA-AVIS: DeLillo and Greece

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 01 May 2004

I'll follow late on the DeLillo comments since I think I was responsible for the thread by mentioning "White Noise." WN is probably DeLillo's funniest book. As others said here, I think, the three other titles that would appeal most to this list are "Running Dog," "Players," and "The Names" (Oh yeah, and also the Lee Harvey Oswald book, "Libra"). I'll put in a particular plug for
"The Names." I think this is DeLillo's best book, and it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. It does have crime/conspiracy in it; also it's set in Greece. I've recently read a handful of books set in that neck of the woods. The other notable title is Highsmith's "Two Faces of January," which was mentioned here about a week ago. Fine stuff. Maybe we should have a themed month of reading books with a Mediterranean or North African setting (I suppose it would depend on how many titles we could come up with). Highsmith's "Tremor of Forgery" is set in Tunisia.

Doug