RARA-AVIS: Once More Around the Block

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2004

Mario wrote:

>The phenomenon and the type do exist... it's not the same
>to sign a book for a real fan than to use your hand to add
>value to the holdings of a slithery bottom feeder. But how
>can you tell the real fan from the s. b. f.?

Well, when they want it signed but not personalized. When the book appears obviously unread and pristine, gleaming in a mylar book condom. When there are multiple copies of the same book. When the person requesting a signature reeks of Brodart products.

>The irony here is that Block is a collector of stuff, too.
>It takes one...

Exactly. Which is why I think Block's gripe is with the bottom feeders, not the real fans.

I don't even think of myself as a collector, more like just a guy who hates to get rid of books he loved -- or may love eventually.