RARA-AVIS: Re: Lawrence Block rants about signature-hungry ...

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2004

 Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> wrote:

<< Andrew Albert J. Ty wrote: Still, he does sound a bit harsh here, and personally, I like my books signed and with my name on it.

********************* I had a hard time getting behind him on that one, too.
 Since he doesn't want his books signed he feels the need to denigrate those who do with his wife's cutesy theory. Come on, Lawrence. Tempest in a teapot. Much ado about nothing.

This is kinda interesting. I used to receive Block's printed and mailed newsletter, in which he would provide instructions for people who wanted him to sign copies of their books. If signing his books puts his nose out of joint, why make the effort at this point? He's a big enough name in the book publishing world that he can tell folks he won't sign books anymore, if that's what he wishes. (Smaller lights have done so -- I seem to recall a similar situation back years ago when I worked in a bookstore and an author sent X number of pre-signed copies for a scheduled reading. The author read, the store sold the pre-signed copies, and when those were gone, that was it.)

- Duane Spurlock