RE: RARA-AVIS: EARTHQUAKE WEATHER: Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...

From: Aldo T. Calcagno ( acalcagno@simi.k12.ca.us)
Date: 27 Apr 2004

Kevin,

I agree with your assessment of Lankford's book. I have enjoyed both of his earlier novels too. I think that is just scratching the surface of the talent that this man has and he has offered a glimmer of that talent.

Aldo

-----Original Message----- From: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca [mailto: owner-rara-avis@icomm.ca] On Behalf Of Kevin Burton Smith Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 9:36 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: EARTHQUAKE WEATHER: Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...

Mr. Denton wrote:

>Terrill Lee Lankford, EARTHQUAKE WEATHER (2004). Ed Gorman's review
>was mentioned, and he said "this is the best crime novel I've read in a

>long, long time, a melancholy, true account of a lonely life not unlike

>the Philip Marlowe's in THE LONG GOODBYE." I don't want to embarrass
>Mr. Lankford, but I thought it was excellent. It fits in with the old
>Hollywood noirs (Chandler and others on paper and film), following on
>from them and drawing on them--and ranking with the best of them--but
>Mr. L. stakes out some new territory and makes it his own. If you
>haven't read Gorman's review you might want to skip it because he gives

>away some details that are more enjoyable if they come as a surprise.

Yeah, I can't formally review EARTHQUAKE WEATHER anywhere, since I did his web site, but I can sure talk it up here -- and lemme tell you, EW is is just great stuff.

This is possibly the best Hollywood insider novel I've read in a long, long time, and certainly the funniest. Most Hollywood novels these days, well, I'm beginning to suspect they're all cranked out in a factory in the Midwest, but most of them, all they do is toss in a few bimbo starlets, a fat cat producer and a few lines of coke and act like they're telling us something new -- but EARTHQUAKE WEATHER actually dishes up the goods on what it's like to actually work in the industry, an industry built of Grade A Extra-Large egos held together by toothpicks and post-it notes.

Of course, the author actually works in the film industry (who can forget the classic HOLLYWOOD CHAINSAW HOOKERS?), so the cynicism he brings to the table in EARTHQUAKE WEATHER is hard-earned and well-deserved.

The humor? Well, that's just because Lankford's a sick fuck.

But Pelecanos has spoiled me. I wanna free CD with every book I receive now!

--

Kevin Burton Smith Nothing on? Try The Thrilling Detective Web Site/CrimeSeen TV/Movie Poll http://www.thrillingdetective.com
For fun only. Please, no wagering. -- # Plain ASCII text only, please. Anything else won't show up. # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .