RARA-AVIS: Recent purchases

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Apr 2004

Joseph Shallitt, LADY, DON'T DIE ON MY DOORSTEP (Avon C763, 1952 PB reprint). "I wanted to grab, rip and mangle the punk who did this to Dotty." Peggy gets iced, too, and Dan Morrison gets mixed up with grifters, hoods, and gunmen. I couldn't pass up a title like this. Anyone know Shallitt's stuff?

Max Allan Collins, STOLEN AWAY (1991). Nate Heller gets involved in the Lindbergh kidnapping case. Won a Shamus award. I've never read any of the Nate Heller stories but they're well regarded around these parts.

Brian Garfield, RELENTLESS (1972). Garfield's also spoken of well, but I've never read anything by him. The store also had a copy of DEATH WISH, which he wrote, and a sequel.

Scott Phillips, COTTONWOOD (2004). The word is out that his first book, THE WALKAWAY (2002) is going to be made into a movie, directed by Harold Ramis (!) and starring John Cusack. But Cusack wants to change the ending. If you've read it, you'll know how stupid that is.

The store also had a Mysterious Press anthology of DIME DETECTIVE stories by another writer whose name I forgot. I didn't get it, so now I'll have to go back.

Bill