RARA-AVIS: Southwest Crime -- A Clod of Wayward Marl

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 19 Apr 2004

Title source, as discussed. The protagonist of the novel considers titling one of his crime books, "A Clod of Wayward Marl," but decides that it's too obscure and literary (if I'm remembering correctly). It's a quotation from Shakespeare, Much Ado, Beatrice speaking about men, I think...they are nothing but clods of wayward marl. (Biblical resonance too -- man mad of mud.) I suppose in the DeMarinis novel, the title refers to the protagonist, too.

Doug