Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: James Loftus (message from Jack O'Connell)

From: Rene Ribic ( reneribic@bigpond.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2004

As far as hoaxes go, I don't think you'd get a lot of points for winding up us collector types. We're just too easy as targets - we really want to believe. Man, I was so excited when I first read the "article" - until I quickly ascertained that it was a hoax. That was some months ago, at least but when it came up on this list I suddenly got excited all over again, especially when "evidence" was produced. The fact that I've wasted time on TWO occasions trying to discover more about the apocryphal Mr Loftus just goes to show you how badly we do want to believe. Oh, too cruel, too cruel. And you've even found a potential publisher at a time when all of Gil Brewer's (for example) books are out of print. All this post-modern Borgesian stuff is hurting my head - I'm gonna go and watch The Untouchables.
(By the way - are you really Joseph O'Connell?)

Ern O'Malley & the Angry Penguins