Re: RARA-AVIS: Setting for Charles Williams' HILL GIRL

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Apr 2004

--- Bill Crider < bcrider@houston.rr.com> wrote:
> There's a reference in HILL GIRL to Gregg County, of which
> there's one in
> Texas not far from where I'm sitting right now. Not too many
> hills there,
> but maybe Williams didn't come up with the title.

Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. I ran across the reference to Gregg County where the tenant farmer who teams up with the novel's protagonist is talking. He also makes mention of Mineola which I see is in Texas. The only reference I see so far to hills is some "sand hills." They do a lot of hunting, quail especially. Charles Williams was born and grew up in San Angelo, Texas, so signs point to the novel's setting as being in The Lone Star state. The storyline is solid enough but I'm impressed with the quality of the writing in CW's debut novel.

Ed Lynskey

=====