Re: RARA-AVIS: Unknown authors

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Apr 2004

Geir,

Re your question below:

> A friend and neighbour came over this evening with
> 42 crime novels as a
> gift. Some gift. Five christmases and ten birthdays
> all at once. Anyway:
> a lot of the writers i never heard of, so i'm
> wondering if you could
> enlighten me on some of them. Do they belong on the
> list? The names of
> the authors i never heard of:

Many of them write police procedurals and a few are former police officers or some other kind of law enforcement professional. Here are the ones I'm familiar with:

> Linda Fairstein
A former Manhattan deputy district attorney who specialized in prosecuting sex crimes. Her series character is a Manhattan deputy DA who specializes in prosecuting sex crimes. Haven't read her, so I can't comment personally.

> Michael McGarrity
Former New Mexico police officer (I believe with the Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office) whose series character, Kevin Kearney, has worked in several different law enforcement jobs in the course of the series. For the last two or three books, he's been the Chief of Police of Santa Fe.

> Robert K. Tanenbaum
Another former Manhattan deputy DA who specialized in murder cases. His series character, Manhattan deputy DA Butch Karp, was introduced in the legal thriller NO LESSER PLEA, which I liked quite a bit.

> Giles Blunt
Write a police procedural series about a detective in a small-town force in Canada. The first book in the series, 40 WORDS FOR SORROW, won the Silver Dagger from CWA. I though it was very good.

> Peter Straub
Haven't read, but he's a well-known horror writer who's collaborated with Stephen King on a couple of novels.

> Kathy Reichs
A forensic anthropologist whose character is, big surprise, a forensic anthropologist. First book in the series, DEJA DEAD, won an award from the Canadian Crime Writers. Haven't read her, but she's been compared favorably to Patricia Cornwell.

> Dan Mahoney
A former NYPD captain. I wrote a bit about him during a month when the RARA-AVIS theme was police procedurals. Here's the link:

http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200209/0191.html

> Thomas Perry
His first novel, THE BUTCHER'S BOY, about a female federal cop on the trail of a professional killer, won the Edgar for Best First Novel, and it was well-deserved.

Hope this helps.

JIM DOHERTY