Re: RARA-AVIS: Unknown authors

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 10 Apr 2004

Geir,

I can help with two on your list:

I was really impressed by Denise Mina's debut, Garnethill, about a clinically depressed woman recently out of a sanitarium who sets out to solve the murder in her living room of her shrink, with whom she was having an affair. She is able to talk to various other patients who either shut down with the police or were dismissed by them. Of course, she is aware that their info is less than reliable, and suspects her own perceptions may be the same. I've been meaning to pick up Mina's later books.

I really liked Thomas Perry's first couple books, Butcher Boy, about a hitman, and Metzger's Dog, a semi-humorous (more Ross Thomas than Carl Hiassen) caper novel. I'm not sure why I didn't read more by him.

However, I'd pick up Jack O'Connell first.

Mark