RARA-AVIS: RE: Lou Ford, Texan

From: Andrew Albert J. Ty ( andrewty@i-manila.com.ph)
Date: 08 Apr 2004

You know, if I ever find a copy of Robert Polito's book on Thompson over here on these shores, I just know I'd instantly snap it up and buy it. When I bring it home, I'll look at it with ache and longing on my shelf, not reading it for fear of spoilers.

I've only read The Grifters and The Killer Inside Me, but I quite enjoyed both of them, especially the latter (which, for some reason, I didn't expect to like as much). So I have no idea what Polito means by "Ford goes to bed with the devil, but this time he rises with the angels," but that's a pretty nice turn of phrase, if I do say so myself.

So for those, such as myself, who want to trace this character all over Thompson's works, what would be the books and stories to watch out for? Is there an order by which they are to be read for maximum effect?

Or perhaps a general question: after The Grifters and The Killer Inside Me, what's next? Recommendations, anyone?

Thanks, Andrew