Re: RARA-AVIS: 2 quick questions

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 02 Apr 2004

Marianne wrote:

"2. Having (see above) recently made a small purchase of 2nd hand paperbacks (and, incidentally, discovered I enjoy Prather), I tried to read a Willeford - PICK-UP. Is anybody able to suggest whether this book is more or less typical of his output?"

I'd say it isn't. Although I know many really like this book, it is far from my favorite of his. I'm not saying I didn't like it, just that it is far more somber than the rest of his I've read. It's got the dark, existential angst of most of his works, but without the really twisted black humor that underlaid so many of them. My favorite is probably Burnt Orange Heresy, but Black Mass of Brother Springer is another favorite (didn't Juha just put this back in print?). I also really liked his Hoke Mosley books (should be read in order), the first of which, Miami Blues, is a somewhat traditional police procedural that spins out of control. Hoke loses a bit more control over his own like in each succeeding book.

Mark