Re: RARA-AVIS: Themes of the Months

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2004

We've got a nice list of books set in the American Southwest, which Mr. Crider defined as "Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, maybe even Utah and Nevada. What the heck. Toss in Southern California if you'd like." Heavy on the Arizona and New Mexico. If there are any others you'd recommend, please mention them. When April starts, it'll be time to talk about them, and Mr. Crider will be the host.

Pick a book, give it a read, and send out a brief review or some comments. We'll try to put together some opinions on what hardboiled and noir writing set there has in common, how the location affects the writing, what similarities the writers have, etc. We've done a few themes of the months about cities, but this is about a big expanse of land much of which is lightly populated.

Bill