RARA-AVIS: INTERFACE, Joe Gores

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Mar 2004

Just finished this one. Great book. I can see why Mario compares Gores to Hammett. Gores's private eye Neil Fargo feels like Sam Spade from the very beginning. It's been quite a while since I've read Gores. The only other thing I've read by him is CASES, which is a series of old (Manhunt?) stories patched together into a novel.

INTERFACE is very hardboiled and dark, and Gores writing is superb. It's about a shady private eye on the wrong side of the law. He's working a big heroin deal with some criminal acquaintances when his supposedly trustworthy army buddy, Docker, takes off with the drugs and the cash. As the crooks and the cops search for Docker, the bodies pile up.

I thought I had the ending figured, but he fooled me. It came as a total surprise. A short and satisfying read.

miker