Re: RARA-AVIS: Black noir

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 26 Mar 2004

David wrote:

"I don't know...most of Holloway's current catalog is pretty sub-Gold Medal even."

You'll note I said "trying to be." The comparison to Gold Medal was more about the paperback originals with no pretentions aspect of Gold Medal. Quality of writing-wise, Holloway House would generally be several steps below.

"Old School Books was pretty cool, but even cooler was Payback Press. I don't think their stuff is available in the U.S. any more, but the last time I was in Ireland, I saw a few new Payback editions, so maybe they're still publishing there."

Payback is still adding titles? I thought they had pretty much the same list as Old School, with the notable addition of the omnibus editions of the Harlem Cycle. I'll have to check out Canongate's website.

Mark