RARA-AVIS: JOE, by Larry Brown

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2004

A long time ago I asked for recommended Southern Gothic and I think it was Ed Lynskey who suggested Larry Brown. I just finished reading JOE. It's a good book. The book is set in rural Mississippi, and the elements of Southern Gothic are all there, the poverty, the twisted appetites, the harsh environment, and the violence. Brown gets good mileage out of playing compassion against cruelty.

The novel centers around redneck Joe Ransom. He's nearing 50 and although he has a genuinely good streak in him, he's also got a taste for liquor and violence that has turned his family away from him.

miker