RARA-AVIS: Lester Dent - Cry at Dusk

From: Laird ( lairdo@mts.net)
Date: 23 Mar 2004

Hi,

I've been lurking for about two years now, and thought I'd drift out of the shadows to make a couple of comments : 1. I thoroughly enjoy the discussions that take place on this list (great job, Bill),and 2. after reading everything I could get my mitts on by Hammett, Chandler, Thompson, Goodis, et al, I've started looking for hardboiled books by less famously hardboiled authors, and found one in Cry at Dusk, by Lester Dent (of Man of Bronze fame). I thought it an excellent hardboiled story, with some great wordplay and slam-bang action (there's an attempted rape and successful castration in the first forty pages!) I wondered if anyone else had read the book, and what they thought of it? A good review is provided at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/m.hodder/crydusk.html

Talk to you all in another two years! :-)

Laird