Re: RARA-AVIS: Kaminsky and Chandler

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Mar 2004

Miker,

Re your comment below:

> Speaking of Jim and Marlowe, I'm looking forward to
> the Chandler class coming up at B&N. I've got the
> novels done now. I'll have to read some short
> stories.

For the first lesson, the assigned short stories are going to be the two Mallory stories, "Blackmailers Don't Shoot" and "Smart-Aleck Kill," and "Spanish Blood."

For the second lesson, the assigned stories will be the four Marlowe shorts, "Finger Man," "Goldfish,"
"Red Wind," and "Trouble Is My Business." Be advised, if you're reading these four stories from the assigned text, the first volume in the Library of America's Chandler omnibus (STORIES & EARLY NOVELS), you'll be readinf the pulp versions of those stories, rather than the revised SIMPLE ART OF MURDER versions. Hence Marlowe is referred to by his pulp names of "Carmady" and "John Dalmas."

For those of you who are interested, the class starts March 3. You can find info about the course here:

http://educate.barnesandnobleuniversity.com/educate/bn/home/catalog/overview.jsp?productId=16799&userid=2VW3RD255W&nhid=bn

A few of you have contacted me to let me know you've signed up. Looking forward to having you. If you don't make it in for this session, a new class starts up early in April.

JIM DOHERTY