RARA-AVIS: New Scott Phillips

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 29 Feb 2004

Scott Phillips wrote THE ICE HARVEST (2000) and THE WALKAWAY (2002), both of which are excellent and I highly recommend, especially the first one if you like old Gold Medal paperback originals. I was wondering today when his next book would be out, and it turns out it just got released this month: COTTONWOOD.

PUBLISHERS WEEKLY's review of it begins, "Western epic, black comedy and soft porn are cleverly spliced in this genre-bending offering from Phillips, which relates the experiences of Bill Ogden, sometime farmer, sometime saloon-owner, sometime photographer in 1870s Kansas. Ogden, 27, is a self-taught Greek and Latin scholar and a sexual libertine capable of seducing almost any woman he encounters."

Have any of you rare birds read it yet? It sounds like he didn't want to do a third HB/noir book--not that that'll stop me from reading it, of course.

Bill