RARA-AVIS: Mike Shayne and Sailor

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Feb 2004

James Reasoner wrote: As for older books, one of the best Mike Shayne novels, MURDER IS MY BUSINESS, is set in El Paso, and Dorothy B. Hughes' RIDE THE PINK HORSE is set in Santa Fe.

****************** I think the only Mike Shayne I've read is TASTE OF VIOLENCE, and if I recall correctly Shayne drives up to Kentucky to handle the case. I thought Hughes' RIDE THE PINK HORSE was a stunning piece of writing. Classic noir. The movie shuffled the plot more than I cared for, and siphoned off a large degree of the noir element, but it was still great. I am looking forward to her IN A LONELY PLACE.

miker