RARA-AVIS: "Looking for love in all the wrong places" (?)

From: Rene Ribic ( reneribic@bigpond.com)
Date: 26 Feb 2004

> Rene Ribic wrote on Feb 25, 2004:
> >> Can we have a definition of "love"?
> >
> > It's how Mike Hammer feels about his gat; how Travis McGee
> > feels about his boat...The lack of love is what slowly killed
> > Cornell Woolrich while he wrote his purple pulp masterpieces
> > (and some not-so masterpieces).
>
> Maybe it's what Cornell Woolrich felt about that little hidden sailor
suit. Don't let's be too quick to proclaim about where love can't be found. Is it absent, or are we just suffering from blinkered vision?

> Remember, as Lena Horne phrased it in "The Ziegfield Follies,"
>
> "Love can be a sweet endeavor,
> "Or a dirty shame;
> "Love is almost never, ever the same ..."
>

> Chris

I agree, Chris, love can rear its ugly head anywhere. It's just that it doesn't seem that Woolrich got a lot of love from his sailor suit in return. It's not that I feel it's impossible to find love in a sailor suit, far from it. It's just that it doesn't seemed to have worked for Woolrich. I'm the last person in the world, or near enough, to be in a position to criticise other people's sex lives.
(And anyway, we're just talking about sex now, not love. They're not completely interchangeable.)

Rene